Dog Chat Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot Spots

Go down

Hot Spots Empty Hot Spots

Post by Guest Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:45 pm

Fonz has had a hotspot for a couple of weeks now. He is getting betadine washes and curash three times daily. He has been to vets and was on antibiotics as well.
Its on the top of his head and hasnt really ever been moist as he cant lick it I suppose. It hasnt got any worse. Just seems to not be getting better as in hair not growing back yet. Little whisps are starting but nothing much.

Now it seems there is another one appearing on his leg. Its still very small and I have started the betadine washes and curash already to try to put a stop to it.

Can anyone offer any advice or anything more I could be doing.

I am starting to wonder if its an allergy of some sort. It has also been recommended to me that I buy some antihistomines for him in case its an allergy. Off to the chemist tomorrow. I thought I might try some iodine powder as well.

Its frustrating the hell out of me, although he doesnt seem bothered.

How long do they take to clear up. I have had conflicting advice on this. Some people say longer before now. Others say it takes ages for the hair to grow over.

Back to top Go down

Hot Spots Empty Re: Hot Spots

Post by Occy Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:28 pm

apparently there's this purple spray - it's the one you use on horses (I think it's an iodine spray - ask the vet) - it gets rid of hot spots in 24-48 hrs.

He might not be able to lick it but I bet he sure as hell can scratch it against stuff. I've had few hotspots on my dogs - mostly because of their diet

What's he eating?
Occy
Occy
Regular poster
Regular poster

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:30 pm

He is on Optimum Puppy dry. Chicken necks. Mince raw and mince cooked with mixed veges. Jalna yoghurt. Bones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Occy Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:50 pm

ok

Just from knowing my own dogs take him off the bones - red meat CAN cause hot spots. Start him on just chicken wings and minced chook carcasses - and roo, duck etc - whatever you can get.

Also ditch the dry food. Go with a premium dry from a petshop - nutrience holistic, eaglepack holistic - something of that kind. Cali natural is the best for allergies - but you have to go to PP to get it

That has helped us. No hot spots here for years. And Flash - the yeasty rescue has got coat covering most of him (some areas were too scarred to grow hair again) and no hot spots - but I have them a few bones over the last couple of weeks and voila he has started scratching. those got binned!

Saying that - it might be that he has wheat allergy - or something else - but I would try that
Occy
Occy
Regular poster
Regular poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks. I will give that a try. The bones he rarely gets. I more often than not give the chicken wings and necks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Also he may need quartazone injections. Its helped many shih tzus who tend to get hotspots alot in the heat. Not sure if the creams will work if you have some at home for the kids, but worth giving it a try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Occy Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:49 pm

Natural is better if possible. Corthex or Neocort creams are ok - esp where he cant lick
Occy
Occy
Regular poster
Regular poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:52 am

I took him back to the vet this morning. The did a skin scraping and changed their diagnosis to Dermdetic mites. He is on ivermectim now. Hopefully it will start to right itself now.

Ta muchly for your suggestions and input!

Back to top Go down

Post by Occy Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:27 am

eep

where did he pick up those little blighters?

beach?
Occy
Occy
Regular poster
Regular poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:55 am

All started after the dog show. So I am guessing there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Occy Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:40 am

Hmm you'd think...
Occy
Occy
Regular poster
Regular poster

Back to top Go down